Thursday, November 5, 2009

Trading is never a smooth ride

Today, I chatted with one of my trader friend.  He is facing a series of losses and he started to lose control.  This is a very typical scenario that we face as a trader.

As a trader, no matter how skilled or how familiar you are with your strategies, there would be times when you just couldn't recognize what you usually see.  We face with decision making every time we look at the charts, we need to risk losing money whenever we put in a trade, we need to coup with the emotional ups and downs when we win or lose.  It is already mentally stressful and add on the expectations we have on ourselves, we tend to over-pressurized ourselves.  Every added stress would impact on our ability to think and decide, so keeping our head leveled is what we need to do.

When this happens to me I would drop my lot size (even as small as 1 or 2 minis), I would then build quickly from there. i.e. for every few good trades, I would increase the size till I am back to my normal.  Learning how to get back on your feet is very important and learning to give yourself room to breathe is vital for our survival.

Dear friends, don't give up.  Setbacks are inevitable.  Without bad experiences, we won't be able to grow to be better.

Laurus once told me "Good judgment comes from experience and experience is learnt from bad judgment".

0 comments: